Thursday, February 11, 2010

Brand New Day

Every day is a new day. This is the most important thing that I have learned about teaching so far. Every day, usually during 4th block prep, I think back over the day. I think about what went wrong and what went right, and often, I'll have a conversation with my cooperating teacher about it. After I've considered each possible mistake (actually, I prefer "opportunity for improvement") I make the conscious decision to let it all go, so that I can start fresh tomorrow. Every morning I walk into the classroom and tell myself that I get to start with a clean slate that day, and so do my students. It's only fair. We all have our bad days, but what I love about my high school students is that, by and large, they're willing to let every day be a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment