Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ning!!!

My cooperating teacher introduced me to a wonderful new technology find! This semester she started using a ning (replacing the wiki) for her online platform. It's basically a social network that lends itself extremely well to online communities. It's incredibly easy to use and set up. I was so in love that I decided to create one for all of the English interns, so that we could stay in touch this semester. Last semester we all loved posting on the discussion boards as part of our methods class, so I'm hoping that this can become a replacement that we'll be able to build on.
I've also created a ning for interns who are involved with MTT (Master Teachers of Technology) at my school. I was lucky to be able to attend an MTT meeting with my cooperating teacher. At each meeting, the group of teachers is able to observe the use of new technology in a classroom, as well as discuss and experiment with technologies that they hope to soon implement in their own classrooms. At the conclusion of the meeting, the other interns and I volunteered to plan and implement the next observed lesson, so we are now in the process of planning that project. The ning has been an extremely valuable resource since face to face meetings are in short supply.

1 comment:

  1. Nings can be really addictive :)

    I know you're already familiar with the English Companion (http://englishcompanion.ning.com), thanks to our librarian :)

    If you haven't checked them out yet, I encourage you to stop by The Educator's PLN (http://edupln.ning.com) and The One Comment Project (http://onecommentproject.ning.com).

    ReplyDelete